July 12, 2007

Bukhara [Huntington Beach]

Bukhara is tucked away in a strip mall that I grew up next to--and that was over ten years ago. Though you may not always find the dining room filled, the restaurant does a brisk takeout business, so dont take lack of bustle as an indicator of the food. This is my top pick for Indian food when I come back to the OC.

Across the board, I find that Bukhara's dishes are authentic and solid. The dal has a good heat to it and it will definitely clear your sinuses if youre looking for a home remedy. We also tried the Aloo Chat, which is a good appetizer with potatoes and peas. I always get the Chicken Tikka Masala--the depth of cream-based sauce rivals some of the best I've had in Berkeley. It's smoky, rich, with just the right amount of sweetness.



I've probably had better naan elsewhere, but it's not bad. Sometimes I think that the naan isn't doughy enough and sometimes so blistery that it just tastes burned. However, all meals come with complimentary papadum and basmati rice, so naan isn't necessary if you're impartial to your filler.



The lunch buffet is a good deal, though you're better off coming at the beginning for warmer food. At $8.95, you get access to a good selection of vegetarian and chicken dishes, a salad bar, various fruit puddings, and freshly baked garlic naan brought to your table. And best of all, unlimited naan, baked fresh and brought to your table when ready!

I used to think that the mango lassi came with free refills, but I guess it's only on some days when they'd just end up throwing out the extra anyways.

Bukhara
7594 Edinger Ave
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(714) 842-3171

No comments: