June 7, 2007

Thai Nakorn [Stanton]

After failing to make the 2pm deadline in Torrance, we headed back to the OC with our heads hung low, thinking of ways to redeem our failed attempt at lunch. We vaguely remembered hearing that Thai Nakorn had reopened after the fire and made a few phone calls to find its new address. We didn't have much success, but thought we'd try our luck on Beach Blvd.



My SO thought he remembered seeing a bright red sign in a photo online so we kept our eyes peeled and were rewarded with a sighting only 10 minutes after getting off the freeway. We didnt even have to make a u-turn.

The new Thai Nakorn lacks the same charm as its original location near Knotts Berry Farm, though I'm told its pretty similar to the Garden Grove store that previously burned down. We were not deterred, however, thanks to our raging appetites which had been waiting to eat since noon that day. We perused the lunch specials and I settled on the Red Curry Shrimp while my SO went for his stand-by, off-the-menu order of Pad See-Ew. We rounded out our meal with a Thai tea to share and spent the next few minutes in quiet anticipation of our food.

The tea was a little too sweet for my tastes and admittedly, I dont take much of a liking to Thai food. However, I have had my share of travels in Thailand so I can attest to the quality and authenticity of the flavors. I enjoyed the tom yum soup and my curry had ample amounts of shrimp in it. They were a good size and someone even took the care to devein them before serving. It was spicy as hell, but overall, a solid Thai curry. I found the Pad See-Ew to be flavorful and similarly laden with large quantities beef and Chinese broccoli. My only complaint was that the noodles stuck together, indicating that the dish might have been stir-fried for too long or without enough oil [though less oil is more beneficial for your health].


Not the best Thai I've had, but still a good pick if you're in the area and are looking for a meal that cant go that wrong.

Thai Nakorn
11951 Beach Blvd
Stanton, CA 90680
(714) 799-2031

No comments: